Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cabinets

The cabinets took much longer than anticipated. Partly due to the process: deglossing, sanding, nailing, filling, sanding again, priming (both sides), sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding and then the final coat of paint. Yeah, not exaggerating. My sister told me no one would notice if I skipped a step or two, but I would know. Better to get it all done now. 
 Lots and lots of doors.
 And my favorite part of the entire renovation. The nail gun. Think about thirty nails went into that first cabinet. So fun. 

Getting there

Framed the doors one day, filled with wood filler and sanded another day. All thanks to Mema who came up for a few days to play with my kidos so mommy could work. :)  

 Painted the first layer of primer with a teeny tiny roller brush. It was tedious. Then, as I was painting with my mini roller my eyes fell to the unopened box of my new paint sprayer. Why not? I mean, the kitchen is mostly empty anyway. So we hung some plastic sheeting and the kitchen was primed and painted in two days. yay!

Can you see the haze?  

 Pretty grey paint! 

This is a perfect example of what not to do. Never lay anything you are going to paint on plastic sheeting. Paint sticks to the plastic so when you lift up your door you also pull up a thin layer of dried paint that surrounded the door. Extra sanding. Learned my lesson, but at this point I was feeling done with pictures...and my phone was covered with dust and paint. 

This was a spur of the moment thing. I was procrastinating on another task so I decided to be productive in my procrastination and paint the inside of my drawers and upper cabinets. Took a while, but makes everything look more complete. 

Close up of the new cabinets with hardware. More pics to come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment