Monday, March 12, 2012

My Weekend Hobby

Moving to a new state can be very exciting, but is always a little daunting. When we moved to Tennessee in 2004, I did nothing to explore the area, outside of finding the nearest walmart, and driving to Nashville every once in a while. When we moved to Cali a few months ago, I was determined to make this move a completely different experience. I started by just driving around on Saturday mornings, stopping for the occasional garage sale….soon I was buying and selling vintage on Etsy. My shopping has gotten a bit more refined, so now I tend to forgo the garage sales in favor for estate sales. I have found some incredible treasures, and walked through some truly stunning homes. 

One of the first dresses I bought....from the 20's!

Gorgeous Marilyn pic for my Dad
Really cool, fruit covered chandelier
Things like this are always a little sad. However, not nearly as sad as when they leave personal pics on the walls. 
1930's home in Long Beach. Looks like a fairytale! 

Pyrex nesting bowls....love these! Definitely not for sale. 

Front yard of a home in Palo Verdes
I sold some books! 
This is one of my most favorite finds. An eclectic speller from 1875, with an intact dust jacket! 

Most of the books in this cabinet now belong to me. :) 
Attic of a home in Los Feliz. The home had been closed up for 30 years, so it was a very interesting experience. They found several zebra skins up here...apparently the guy who lived there used to hunt with John Wayne. 
Tons of clothes! 
On my way up to Los Feliz.....tunnels on the arroyo seco parkway. Don't worry, I didn't take the pic while driving. 
First editions of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass....something I have not yet found,  but am always searching for. 
my books - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ComfyCouchVintage?ref=si_shop

my clothes - http://www.etsy.com/shop/RuLuRose?ref=si_shop

No comments:

Post a Comment